Re: [D3E] Include mouse capture functionality

Hi, Cameron-

Cameron McCormack wrote (on 9/22/08 4:05 AM):

> I found the mouse capture methods[1] from the old SVG 1.2 Full WD to be
> useful when writing web apps that did drag-and-drop.  Since they’re not
> really SVG-specific, I suggest adding them (similar functionality if
> not exactly as in that document) to DOM 3 Events.  These are implemented
> in Batik.
>
> Thoughts?

SVG 1.2 is evil and breaks the Web, and therefore we should avoid
anything associated with it.

That said, I think it's a good idea, and I'd be fine with adding it, or
with putting it in a future events spec (along with multi-touch,
pen/tablet input, etc.).

Additionally, I've often wondered how the mouse sampling rate is
determined, and it might be interesting to expose that rate through an
API.  In normal Web pages, this doesn't matter, but in Web applications
(particularly though with a lot of dragging, drawing, or other
mousemove-specific operations) it can help with performance.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs