Re: uDOM changes for Global/AbstractView/etc.

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 03:01:12 +0200, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote:

> Erik Dahlström:
>> Looks fine, but I have one comment:
>>
>> Looking ahead a bit, this would mean that SVGDocument::global is
>> made equivalent to DocumentView::defaultView for 1.2 full/core,
>> right?
>
> Yes.
>
>> If so, then this is basically the same as deprecating
>> SVGDocument::global, which seems a bit odd. Is it at all possible to
>> align this so that a user agent that already supports DOM 2 Views can
>> avoid having to add 'global'?
>
> So, according to Niklas, there is content out there that relies on
> 'global'.  Would we really want to make it optional?  If we don’t care
> about this content moving forward, we could just drop it in Core.
> (To me, it doesn’t seem that useful to make it optional.)

Right, so what I'm really asking is:

  Is it really impossible to make the change global->defaultView now, to save us the pain later on?

Ok, there may be some content already. However, the content would still work if changed to use defaultView, with the additional benefit of having it work in browsers too.

Cheers
/Erik

Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group