W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-svg-wg@w3.org > April to June 2008

Minutes, SVG telcon Thursday 15 May 2008

From: Anthony Grasso <anthony.grasso@cisra.canon.com.au>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 21:58:42 +1000
Message-ID: <482C2572.3080403@cisra.canon.com.au>
To: W3C SVG Public Working Group <public-svg-wg@w3.org>


http://www.w3.org/2008/05/15-svg-minutes.html

---

    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                - DRAFT -

                    SVG Working Group Teleconference

15 May 2008

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2008AprJun/0041.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2008/05/15-svg-irc

Attendees

    Present
           aemmons, anthony, ed, ChrisL, Doug, aemmons_

    Regrets
           Andreas, Cameron

    Chair
           Andrew Emmons

    Scribe
           anthony

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]F2F Agenda recap
          2. [6]Test Review Status
          3. [7]1.2 Filter Region Extensions
          4. [8]feTurbulence clarifications
          5. [9]source-image offset-dimensions control
          6. [10]filter primitive subregion and feGaussianBlur
      * [11]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________



    <trackbot-ng> Date: 15 May 2008

    <scribe> scribe: anthony

F2F Agenda recap

    <aemmons>
    [12]http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Group/wiki/SophiaAntipolisF2F2008

      [12] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Group/wiki/SophiaAntipolisF2F2008

    AE: Link to agenda
    ... is there anything else that we want to add?

    <ChrisL> [13]http://www.cg06.fr/transport/lignes-tam/230.pdf

      [13] http://www.cg06.fr/transport/lignes-tam/230.pdf

    AE: Get an idea of our time spent on each topic
    ... so if our goal is to make a new publication of the test suite
    then a bit of time will be spent on that
    ... do we agree on that

    CL: Good idea

    DS: Put priority on getting whatever needs to be done to get Tiny
    1.2 published
    ... next is SVG in HTML
    ... third thing is what is the nature of the SVG IG
    ... should have a short discussion on this
    ... what can we get from them
    ... membership policy, what they can do, etc

    AE: Discussion of the new WG home page
    ... also we have XML HTTP request review

    DS: Sort of a moving target
    ... XH1 is in LC
    ... should review that
    ... not necessarily in the F2F

    AE: So as far as SVG in HTML, how long will it take to do that?

    <ChrisL> (that pdf link has two pages, by the way - page two is the
    nice to sophia direction)

    DS: A couple of us could break off into a scrum

    AE: I think for the test suite there will a lot of work there
    ... put 3 or 4 days to it
    ... does that sounds like peoples expectations

    DS: I would expect 3
    ... but I could be wrong

    AE: We can publish and updated test suite with out an implementation
    report?

    CL: Yes we can

    AE: There's no reason to not be able to do one, could be distracting
    perhaps

    ED: Could take a bit of time

    <ChrisL> Meet in hotel lobby at 07:50, I wil ltake you on the tram
    to the bus staion

    <ChrisL> then we get the 08:15 sophia express, arriving 09:15

    <ChrisL> start meeting at 09:30

Test Review Status

    AE: Try to get people to review tests in spare time
    ... still some tests on the list that don't have a reviewer

1.2 Filter Region Extensions

    <aemmons>
    [14]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008May/0014.html

      [14] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008May/0014.html

    ED: I have had a chance to read this
    ... not sure I agree with this
    ... can have filter units userSpaceOnUse
    ... there is a need to have a filter margins to disappear
    ... Having margins specified in the mark up is ok

    CL: Good for authoring tools to specify this

    AE: Do we agree with that and should we reply?

    ED: We should reply
    ... I would like to keep filter margins in the spec
    ... tools can generate the filter-margins markup, and viewers will
    be able to handle that more efficiently

    CL: Think we all agree with you pretty much

    <scribe> ACTION: Erik to respond to Robert regarding the removal of
    SVG 1.2 filter region extensions [recorded in
    [15]http://www.w3.org/2008/05/15-svg-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot-ng> Created ACTION-2018 - Respond to Robert regarding the
    removal of SVG 1.2 filter region extensions [on Erik Dahlström - due
    2008-05-22].

feTurbulence clarifications

    <aemmons>
    [16]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008May/0017.html

      [16] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008May/0017.html

    ED: This is pretty much resolved as to what he was asking
    ... in an email thread
    ... he was asking what one of the parameters to feTurbulence meant

    CL: Do people use that C code, does it help them?

    ED: I think so

    CL: Is it useful as documentation?

    ED: I think so

    CL: They decided in the past to document using pseudo code
    ... don't mind putting it in a separate file

    ED: Would like to have Cameron to say something about this
    ... had look at the filter code in Batik
    ... looked to me like my interpretation was correct

    <scribe> ACTION: Eric to clarify parameters to feTurbulence as per
    Robert's email [recorded in
    [17]http://www.w3.org/2008/05/15-svg-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot-ng> Sorry, couldn't find user - Eric

    <scribe> ACTION: Erik to clarify parameters to feTurbulence as per
    Robert's email [recorded in
    [18]http://www.w3.org/2008/05/15-svg-minutes.html#action03]

    <trackbot-ng> Created ACTION-2019 - Clarify parameters to
    feTurbulence as per Robert's email [on Erik Dahlström - due
    2008-05-22].

source-image offset-dimensions control

    <aemmons>
    [19]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008May/0018.html

      [19] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008May/0018.html

    ED: was experimenting a bit
    ... which part of an image you draw
    ... in an SVG element
    ... would be useful to pick part of an image

    <aemmons>
    [20]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008May/0011.html

      [20] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008May/0011.html

    ED: in image co-ordinates which would be pixels I guess

    AE: What feed back did you get on that?

    ED: Feedback is positive
    ... would like to specify percentages of the dimension of the image

    CL: so can't you do this in clip?

    ED: you can't do any percentages in the clip and you would have to
    know the dimensions

    AE: Interesting if it could be animated

    <ed>
    [21]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008May/0025.html

      [21] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008May/0025.html

    ED: Might be possible to do a more general solution
    ... when referencing an SVG image
    ... can't override the view box currently

    AE: My question is where do you think this would go?
    ... a future module?

    ED: Yes

    AE: What kind of module would this be?
    ... right now it's in structure

    ED: Would be useful to discuss how we move forward with the modules
    ... might be useful to have an SVG Full call module

    <ed> s/full call/full core/

    ED: certainly a need to add some definitions on top of Tiny

    CL: You mean a whole single module that takes Tiny to Full?

    ED: Intro definitions need to be updated and what kind of links as
    well

    AE: If there is a general agreement, do we a place on the wiki to
    put these new ideas

    DS: Use tracker and wiki
    ... Tracker can document individual issues and wiki can be used to
    give priority

    ED: Would like to get feedback from the interest group

    <scribe> ACTION: Doug to set up a wiki page that stores our ideas
    for modules [recorded in
    [22]http://www.w3.org/2008/05/15-svg-minutes.html#action04]

    <trackbot-ng> Created ACTION-2020 - Set up a wiki page that stores
    our ideas for modules [on Doug Schepers - due 2008-05-22].

    DS: What exactly is the first thing I should be putting up here?

    AE: The source image proposal that we discussed

filter primitive subregion and feGaussianBlur

    <aemmons>
    [23]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008May/0013.html

      [23] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008May/0013.html

    ED: I guess he's correct in restricting calculation is kind of
    ambiguous
    ... the section he is quoting is quite generic
    ... also says it has to be treated like a hard clipping region
    ... not sure if I replied to this or not

    AE: No reply to this
    ... so is this something that would warrant changing the wording?
    ... is there something we could change to make it more obvious to
    others?

    ED: Could add implementations are recommended to not perform
    filtering outside of the hard clipping region

    DS: I can't imagine that implementations might want to
    ... we should make it informative not normative
    ... this is an implementation tip
    ... not a conformance criteria

    ED: The important part is the clipping region

    AE: There's probably no point in adding anything, unless it's a
    really bad problem

    DS: We could make the change and respond

    ED: There is a second part here
    ... haven't had time to study that
    ... that would need to be addressed as well

    CL: What it means it doesn't reflect
    ... doesn't have an edge
    ... that says now the filter repeats if it is big enough

    <ChrisL> > If the input has infinite extent and is a tile, the
    filter is evaluated

    <ChrisL> with periodic boundary conditions.

    <ChrisL> surely if its infinite extent then whether it tiles is
    irrelevant. there can only be one such tile, so its boundaries are
    never reached

    <ChrisL> check where that sentence comes from, it looks bogus to me.

    <scribe> ACTION: Erik to add informative implementation tip
    regarding filter primitive subregion and research the second
    question in Robert's email and respond to that as well [recorded in
    [24]http://www.w3.org/2008/05/15-svg-minutes.html#action05]

    <trackbot-ng> Created ACTION-2021 - Add informative implementation
    tip regarding filter primitive subregion and research the second
    question in Robert's email and respond to that as well [on Erik
    Dahlström - due 2008-05-22].

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: Doug to set up a wiki page that stores our ideas for
    modules [recorded in
    [25]http://www.w3.org/2008/05/15-svg-minutes.html#action04]
    [NEW] ACTION: Eric to clarify parameters to feTurbulence as per
    Robert's email [recorded in
    [26]http://www.w3.org/2008/05/15-svg-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: Erik to add informative implementation tip regarding
    filter primitive subregion and research the second question in
    Robert's email and respond to that as well [recorded in
    [27]http://www.w3.org/2008/05/15-svg-minutes.html#action05]
    [NEW] ACTION: Erik to clarify parameters to feTurbulence as per
    Robert's email [recorded in
    [28]http://www.w3.org/2008/05/15-svg-minutes.html#action03]
    [NEW] ACTION: Erik to respond to Robert regarding the removal of SVG
    1.2 filter region extensions [recorded in
    [29]http://www.w3.org/2008/05/15-svg-minutes.html#action01]

    [End of minutes]
      _________________________________________________________


     Minutes formatted by David Booth's [30]scribe.perl version 1.133
     ([31]CVS log)
     $Date: 2008/05/15 11:54:23 $
      _________________________________________________________

      [30] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
      [31] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

    [Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.133  of Date: 2008/01/18 18:48:51
Check for newer version at [32]http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002
/scribe/

      [32] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/therm/them/
Succeeded: s/tools can specify the markup/tools can generate the filter
-margins markup, and viewers will be able to handle that more efficient
ly/
Succeeded: s/... you can't do any percentages in the clip and you would
  have to know the dimensions/ED: you can't do any percentages in the cl
ip and you would have to know the dimensions/
FAILED: s/full call/full core/
Found Scribe: anthony
Inferring ScribeNick: anthony
Default Present: aemmons, anthony, ed, ChrisL, Doug, aemmons_
Present: aemmons anthony ed ChrisL Doug aemmons_
Regrets: Andreas Cameron
Agenda: [33]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2008AprJu
n/0041.html
Found Date: 15 May 2008
Guessing minutes URL: [34]http://www.w3.org/2008/05/15-svg-minutes.html
People with action items: doug eric erik

      [33] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2008AprJun/0041.html
      [34] http://www.w3.org/2008/05/15-svg-minutes.html

    End of [35]scribe.perl diagnostic output]

      [35] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
Received on Thursday, 15 May 2008 11:59:30 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 15 May 2008 11:59:31 GMT