Re: Paper size

Andrew,
I have been arguing within the working group for years that SVG needs to
include some sort of metadata about the preferred physical representation
size for a given graphic. Yes, this is needed for print, but it is also
needed for web workflows. Authoring tools such as Adobe Illustrator need to
know how large a given image should be upon printing since the drawing
surface shows a printed page metaphor and often a given graphic is sent to
a printer. The current 'width'/'height' attributes on <svg> are typically
set to 100%/100% so that they will expand to fill the viewport, which
prevents these attributes from being used to represent preferred physical
representation size.

A more general approach would be to allow arbitrary width/height instead of
named page sizes such as A4, although perhaps a list of known page size
keyword strings would be a nice convenience.

Jon Ferraiolo
Adobe Systems, Inc.