From: public-svg-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:public-svg-ig-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Alex Danilo
Sent: Friday, March 26, 2010 2:55 PM
To: Dailey, David P.
Cc: SVG IG List
Subject: Re: acid test stuff

Hi David,

	Nice test!

--Original Message--:
>This example is probably about six years old...
>
>http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/newstuff/reflectedgradient.s
>vg
>
><snip/>
>
>I am rather troubled to hear that some of the Microsoft folks are saying they don't need to implement SMIL since "even the SVG Working Group doesn't like it" (my paraphrase not theirs). SMIL is exactly half of the reason SVG is good, so I hope folks don't forget that is one of the ideological centers of the whole ball of wax.
><snip/>

Did they really say that? Then I'd go so far as to say they are idiots.

The entire basis of declarative animation is one of the most powerful features in SVG.

We are doing stuff that would be nearly impossible with scripting, but trivial with declarative animation.

Also, IE 5.5 I think first introduced HTML+SMIL and it's a pretty good SMIL implementation too. So if they don't do it for SVG it simply reflects their immaturity in graphics:-) (Oh, and a great example of code non-reuse).

Alex