Re: Diffing with the SVG Primer

Hi, Folks-

Helder Magalhães wrote (on 2/6/10 7:24 PM):

> On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Jeff Schiller <codedread@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  Also, I believe the W3C must have some tools for splitting/combining
>>  the document into multi-page/single-page documents.  I'd like to offer
>>  both for viewing (but have the source split into multiple chapters for
>>  reviewing and editing).

Unfortunately, there is no single tool we use at W3C.  There are a bunch
of different scripts that different groups use.

We might simply have to split the spec out manually into chapters. :(

> Yeah, I guess recall seeing such scripts in the specs. section. I'm
> not sure if we can use them, but breaking the book seems almost a
> requirement to start-up a successful reviewing process.
>
> I also recall Amaya has got a feature (make book [1]) which is pretty
> much what's intended. I'm just not sure if the editor will be able to
> handle the markup without messing it up or freaking out with the
> (currently) huge amount of content. Even if we don't use it, the idea
> [1] seems nice and can perhaps be used as inspiration...?

Actually, Amaya might be a really good tool for folks to use to do
edits.  It is a browser and graphical editor (like a word processor),
and it lets you save directly to the Web.  The markup it produces is
much cleaner than, say, MS Word (which is what I think David was using.
  While it doesn't let you submit comments when you save, I think that
is a relatively small matter, compared to the ease of editing.

What would folks think about using Amaya to collaborate?

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs