Re: Diffing with the SVG Primer

On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 16:14:50 -0600
Jeff Schiller <codedread@gmail.com> wrote:

> I started reading the primer today, got through chapter one and made a
> few minor corrections here or there.  I'm really trying to get a sense
> as to how a review process can proceed, ideally I'd like to give
> reviewers the possibility of making changes themselves in the HTML doc
> and then sending a diff (patch) to the editor/owner (whoever that will
> be).
>
> My CVS is a little rusty, but I did do a cvs diff and took a look at
> what my changes show:

I remember that a lot of people preferred the "unified diff" for
looking at changes. So much so, that most of the systems that came
after CVS use it as a default.

   cvs diff -u

On a Unix-based system, you can make this the default by adding the
line:

  diff -u

to the file .cvsrc in your home directory.

Apparently, TortoiseCVS has the same ability. The FAQ says you can find
the .cvsrc file from CVS -> Preferences.

As for the difficulty seeing the changes, it's not real surprising
since CVS diff work line by line. Since the paragraph is all on one
line, that makes the diff harder to read. HTML doesn't care about line
breaks, so we could add line breaks to wrap the paragraphs into shorter
lines. That makes the diffs easier under some circumstances, but it
does make those of us with a bit of OCD likely to spend time
reformatting paragraphs.<shrug/>

Trade-offs abound.

G. Wade
--
Results are what you wanted, consequences are what you got.
                                                 -- Michael VanDusen