Re: Debugging SVG (and Firebug)

Hi, David-

David Storey wrote (on 5/3/10 8:38 AM):
> As the product manager of the rival Opera Dragonfly, I can't comment too
> much on issues with Firebug. It would be fantastic to see improved
> support in Firebug and other tools however. We on the DFL team have
> looked into SVG support however. We haven't fleshed out everything that
> we'd want to add for SVG debugging yet, but we have some ideas. DFL
> doesn't work too badly for SVG at the moment, but there could certainly
> be some improvements. The box model view in the layout panel, which is
> great for CSS doesn't make so much sense for SVG, as there is no box
> model. Other metrics such as the bounding box perhaps make more sense to
> show there instead.The element highlight could probably be improved in
> the same way: see
> http://my.opera.com/MacDev_ed/blog/getting-screen-boundingboxes-in-svg
> for example.

Yes, I mentioned Firebug explicitly because one of their dev team
approached me about it, but as I mentioned, it would be great to collect
bugs, feature requests, and use-cases for all of the browser-based
debuggers regarding SVG support.

Perhaps we should make a wiki page, identifying all the different
debuggers and how each of them could improve their SVG support (and what
they get right!).

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs