Re: Renesis SVG Player Licensing thoughts

Hi Alexander,
I may be out of date on this, but wasn't Qt's licensing something like
free on Linux, paid on Windows? If you're moving to an open source
license on all platforms for all developers (without a distinction
between commercial and non-commercial development) then I'm sure you'd
find a lot of interest from developers on projects with compatible
licenses who need better SVG support.

It wouldn't be much direct benefit to the major rendering engines in
browsers but there are plenty of other GPL/LGPL projects that it would
help.

You may not be able to get a real gauge of how many contributors you'll
have until you make the project available. I can't offer my time to the
project in good conscience, knowing how many other commitments I
currently have. Still, once the project is out there, it's always
possible I could fix a bug here and there. I'm sure a lot of other
people feel the same way. Conversely, you could get a lot of people
agreeing to help in theory but changing their mind once they see the
code or get pulled off on to some other project.

The only way to know for sure is to put it out there. Hope to see it happen.

Regards,
Rob Russell
rob@latenightpc.com
http://www.latenightpc.com/blog