Re: Torture tests for SVG

On 12 Oct 2009, at 03:58, Jeff Schiller wrote:

> The only thing on the SVG IG Wiki at the moment in regards to Torture
> Tests are some high-level ideas here:
> http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/IG/wiki/Activities#SVG_Torture_Test

I quite like your initial test. I'd like to see it break further in
browser though; at least Opera, as Opera almost passes it already, so
not much of a challenge if we just need to fix the iframe issue (is
this certainly a bug, as FF does the same. I don't know too much about
iFrames, but regular HTML pages usually have this behaviour, but I
guess the SVG spec could override that). The hover nose effect doesn't
work in Opera for img, but I think this is a design decision with
interactivity in img elements (I prefer it to be allowed myself, but I
guess it was maybe for security reasons?), so that breaks the must
look the same condition. It may be better to include the different
ways of referencing a SVG file into one image, rather than have 4
duplicates, but I don't mind either way. Though a SVG Marilyn Manroe/
Andy Warhol style image with filters could be pretty cool.

Should we edit the wiki directly or send you comments?

* For SVG integration we should also include list-style-image
* Opera had some nasty break with foreignObject so that should be
included
* use element referencing external element  as well as internal
* I use external CSS quite extensively in my SVG via CSS bg image, so
I hope it should be allowed ;)

For test 2, I think it is good to have HTML5 there, as the spec isn't
quite ready yet, and waiting for browsers to pass the first test will
give us and them time to finalise that.

I'd like to see filters combines with a transform, as I know Opera
broke this recently, as we fast blitted it too aggressively for
performance and made the edges jaggy on a shape that was rotated.

> This proposed the idea of a series of tests, each testing more complex
> features of SVG.  I wrote some further ideas down in a text file.  I
> will start a wiki page there and we can begin work on teasing out the
> set of features we think each test might cover.
>
> I will also start a GC project to put the code (HTML, CSS, SVG, etc).
>
> Regards,
> Jeff
>
> On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 5:31 PM, G. Wade Johnson
> <gwadej@anomaly.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 16:47:43 -0500
>> Jeff Schiller <codedread@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I've got quite a list to share also.  What's the best environment in
>>> which to collaborate?  IG wiki I guess?  What about for sharing
>>> code?  For instance should I start up a Google Code project?
>>
>> Both the wiki and google code project have merits.
>>
>> We could use the wiki to discuss or propose ideas with an eye towards
>> designing actual tests. The actual code would then go into the GC
>> project.
>>
>> It might be useful to set up multiple directories in the GC project
>> for
>>  * finished (for now) torture tests
>>  * proposed test ideas
>>  * accepted but under construction
>>
>> This allows people who aren't real sure about how to build a
>> completed
>> test to contribute with proposed ideas that others can help refine.
>>
>> Branches don't seem like quite the right way to handle this, IMHO.
>>
>> We might also want to separate the tests based on other criteria,
>> such
>> as "pure specification", "edge cases", "performance", etc.
>>
>> G. Wade
>>
>>> On Oct 11, 2009 3:17 PM, "David Storey" <dstorey@opera.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Oh, and I'm sure Jon can dream up some Colour Profile torture tests
>>> that will keep Erik busy ;)
>>>
>>> On 11 Oct 2009, at 22:05, David Storey wrote: > I'd love to get the
>>> ball rolling on SVG torture t...
>>

>> --
>> If there's no problem, there's no solution.         -- Rick Hoselton

David Storey

Chief Web Opener / Product Manager, Opera Dragonfly
W3C WG:  Mobile Web Best Practices / SVG Interest Group

Opera Software ASA, Oslo, Norway
Mobile: +47 94 22 02 32