Re: Survey on SVG barriers of adoption

Hi, David-

David Storey wrote (on 3/9/09 1:48 PM):

> I'm developing a survey on the barriers of adoption for SVG. A in
> development version can be found at
> http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=cDJWdHhMYjFuY2tpRmFDcmZNQWUxWXc6MA..

(Typo: "OmniGraffel" -> "OmniGraffle").

> Has such a survey been made before, and are there any questions you'd
> suggest adding to the form? I suspect the biggest reason given for
> barrier to adoption will be lack of IE support, but that is a good
> thing, ref Chris Wilsons’s tweet:
> http://twitter.com/cwilso/status/1224886461
>
> Thoughts?

I don't know of such a survey, and it's a great idea.  My assumption,
based on lots of anecdotal feedback, is that the 3 biggest barriers are:

* no support in IE
* lack of comprehensive authoring tools (not just static exports from
Illustrator/CorelDraw/Inkscape, but development and animation tools)
* they've never heard of it.

But I'll be very interested in survey reports that say otherwise.  FWIW,
I think you should lay out the latter 2 points more
explicitly/completely in your survey.

I will certainly help promote such a survey.  What's your intended
methodology to get respondents?  Do you have a channel to get a wide
variety of samples?

(BTW, the initiative you're showing is great... this is exactly the sort
of thing the SVG IG needs.)

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs