Re: SVG IG Hackathon

On Feb 10, 2009, at 14:13 , G. Wade Johnson wrote:
> I've sent out some emails to Houston.pm and the PerlMongers' Leaders
> group about the possibility of an SVG Hackathon-ttype event.

What sort of hacking would a SVG hackathon involve? Building SVG 2.0
from scratch? Fixing bugs in browsers? Writing authoring tools and
tutorials? Or would it be more content oriented? Or again is it
intended to be Perl specific?

> The responses have shown a small amount of interest. But, the main
> question seems to be what would the SVG IG do for such an event:
>
> * Host
> * Organize
> * Promote
> * Sponsor
> * etc.

I don't think that as a group we have the means to host or sponsor an
event, but if it helps SVG we can certainly help organise and promote.

Note that I'm pretty sure only a small subset of PM leaders discussed
this with their group. If you want the word out, you should put it on
use.perl at some point. Also, if the idea is to to promote usage of
SVG in the Perl community, contacting the EPO would be a good idea. In
any case, SVG has the unequivocal support of Dahut.pm.

> BTW, I did have a response from one group who is working on a Perl SVG
> module that needs some help getting it to a releasable state.

I can give a hand with that.

> Once we
> figure out how we can help, this might be a good project to hack on.

I think one fun Perl project would be to work on a general-purpose
Java to Perl translator. It would be useful in a number of cases, and
might not be as one may think at first. The link to SVG here is that
we could brute-force port Batik with that :)

--
Robin Berjon - http://berjon.com/