Re: [Moderator Action] Re: Progress on SVG book

On 4/14/09, Dailey, David P. <david.dailey@sru.edu> wrote:

> Now it could well be that some sort of CMS through planetSVG would allow
> collaborative modification with editorial oversight in a way which would, in
> fact blur the boundaries between these phases and minimize the duplication
> of effort. Clearly having 20 people all point out the same typos is not
> useful (though I must say that among the 5 initial responses, very few
> people found the same typos). Many of you have had more experience with this
> sort of stuff than I and hence may know what works best.

I don't necessarily think the book should be stuffed into a CMS (like
Drupal), I think raw HTML+CSS+SVG is just fine.  However, if it was
put into a version control system like Subversion, people could
download it from the repository, edit the document and then send you
patches.  You (or others you delegate) would review the patches and
approve them or not and fold those patches into your copy and then
commit the changes to the repository.

I think this could become pretty painless with the right tools (I use
the command line, myself though).

This would allow more than document text suggestions but things like
typos, styling, inserting links, etc.

Regards,
Jeff