RE: Progress on SVG book -- question concerning <embed> vs <object> in HTML

Way back when, <embed> was recommended by Adobe as the preferred way to
put SVG in HTML. [history as I understand it was that <object> plus
script introduced a security problem forcing Adobe to disable it]

<object> is the "standards compliant" way (though I suspect HTML5 may
grandfather <embed> in, as a part of its "avoid breaking the web" *
design principle)

In the book I'm trying to finish up, in order to get things working,
even in IE/ASV, I had chosen the one way of getting it to work
everywhere: <embed> as the recommendation.  One of the reviewers (who
happens to be a friend) complained that "modern browsers" don't need
that. So I am backpedaling a good bit on my previous recommendation. I
am not wishing though, to recommend that content developers all ignore
IE/ASV - that is a choice they should make of their own informed
consent.

Only two browsers (Opera and IE/ASV) provide robust support for filters
and SMIL and so forth, and so I really don't want to encourage authors
to ignore one of the two browsers that actually does all this stuff
generally correctly.

Anyhow, and regardless of the emotion that this topic may engender, I'm
interested in explaining the alternative use of

<object id="E" type="image/svg+xml" data="ovals.svg" width="320"
height="240">

  <param name="src" value="ovals.svg">

</object>

as a way to trick IE/ASV into accepting <object> (and without disabling
script).

My questions: 1. does the above still expose the user to the security
risk that Adobe was concerned about in the first place?

If so advising this work-around would perhaps not be a good idea.

2. Since <embed> works everywhere, why not recommend it? Is the only
reason not to that it is not a W3C standard? What do I tell our readers
who may not care if it's a standard or not so long as it works?

David

* platitudes like that often make me nervous ("patriot act" "no child
left behind" --- it seems like they usually have just the opposite
effect)