From: Andreas Neumann [mailto:a.neumann@carto.net]
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 9:22 PM
To: SVG IG List; svgopen2009@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Regrets for the SVGIG telcon and SVG Open ideas

Hi all,

Unfortunately I cannot make it to today's telcon. I am at a meeting today and at the telcon time will be on the train back.

Regarding SVG Open:

I think if we can't find a local california organizer we can still do it in California by outsourcing all the local stuff like the venue and catering to a company and by picking a location that is already equipped for conferences anyway. This would work fine at the Asilomar Conference Ground and would perhaps also work at the Computer history museum.
Juliana and I can work on the conference organization, doing the webserver stuff by re-using old material. It would be great if others can join in and take other jobs, like inviting people, doing reviewing and looking for sponsors.

To get something of a local organizer I can investigate the following:
ask Jon Cruz if he knows anyone (maybe from the Inkscape users/developers). If this also fails I can ask my father in law, who lives in the Davis/Sacramento area and could visit the location for us.
He just recently retired.

If you agree with my opinion (I know it is not ideal, but should work) we should discuss the further issues:

* decide between the computer history museum location or Asilomar
* decide on the dates

Thanks for chiming in on the discussion, Andreas

Andreas Neumann
Böschacherstrasse 6
CH-8624 Grüt (Gossau ZH)
Switzerland