Re: SVG community site moved, wiki modules updated

Dailey, David P. wrote:
> Glad to see we have a site now! My cheers to all involved.
>
> I haven't quite figured out several things yet about what the web site
> is to be. I rather assumed (seeing the blogs that Doug and Rob created)
> that we can undo stuff at some time, though I can't yet see quite how.
> How does one undo something?

There's revision control in some cases. I'd encourage you (and others)
to just try it out. At present there's nothing to lose on the site.
Worst comes to worst, I have automated nightly backups running.
> Has anyone tried posting svg images yet? (there is a place for that I
> see, but I am a bit afraid to play too hard until I find the undo
> button)

There's a Book I created named 'gallery' with this intention but there's
no specific support for SVG images just yet. I have to decide whether to
use an existing Drupal module or try the one I've been hacking on for my
own site (you could look at
http://www.latenightpc.com/blog/archives/2008/10/16/drupal-svg-display-module-ideas
for an example of what I'm thinking about). At a minimum, I need to add
the ability for users to do file uploads.

Oh, this assumes external SVG files. If you want to try inline SVG then
give it a shot but set your Input Format to Full HTML. I think the pages
generated are valid XHTML so it might work.
> How does the site's topology relate to the discussions we've had under
> http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/IG/wiki/Activities ?

Closely, I guess? The W3C wiki needs an update in terms of
implementation status and I'll get to that today or tomorrow morning.
The features are in line with what I've been putting in the Status
section at
http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/IG/wiki/Community_Website_Activity .
> Which of the various threads started at the wiki will be moved to the
> web site?

Not sure about this. I think the W3C wiki is about running the IG but
the community site is for anybody, member or not, who wants to create
SVG. Talking too much about conceptual features that don't exist in most
implementations on the community site might be counter-productive. Just
my opinion, anyone else please chime in.

> How can we change the little Drupal ghost on the page to ... say the SVG
> logo?

The druplicon (trivia: meant to look like a water droplet) is part of
the default theme. That changes with the theme. As we talked about on
the telcon a few times, I'm need help coming up with a distinct and
visually appealing theme.
> Some of this is probably clear in some people's minds, and it may
> actually have been discussed in the minutes or in the archives, so
> apologies if my questions are all redundant. Perhaps the same benevolent
> individual who wrote up some of the nice material at
> http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/IG/wiki/Help:Contents could post a little
> "here's how this site works" kind of thing? When I get there, I feel a
> bit adrift.

Understood. It makes sense that things have to be repeated because of
the number of people we have in the group. I included some user
information in
http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/IG/wiki/Community_Website_Activity but
not a whole lot. The place to start is with the "Create Content" link on
the left. Make Pages or Book Pages. If you can't find a node after you
create it then you can always look under
http://www.planetsvg.com/admin/content/node to see all content on the site.

Also, the Drupal documentation applies to our site as well. There's a
little information at http://drupal.org/node/302312 that could help get
started. Anything on that site that relates to /using/ a Drupal powered
site can apply to our site. Some places may reference features provided
by modules that we don't use but could if they are desired & useful.

Once the features settle out then it's easier to write clear
instructions on using the site but the features we use or throw out
depend on what people use and for this we need content. So it's a bit of
a catch-22 (content helps develop the site but it's hard to write
content for a changing site). I'm going to keep working at getting
everything configured nicely but more testing would help me know what
people expect.

Thanks for the feedback,
Rob Russell
rob@latenightpc.com