Re: SVG DOM object browser, Re: Agenda for Thurs Call (Oct 9th)

Andreas,

Thanks for this idea, it's a good one.

Before I started with the SVG Interest Group, I also had this same
idea but with Google Doctype, whose mission is to "document the open
web".  You can see what they offer for HTML, DOM, CSS:
http://code.google.com/p/doctype/wiki/HTMLElements

Here's some more links about Google Doctype:

http://code.google.com/doctype/ -> home page
http://code.google.com/doctype/overview.html -> overview
http://code.google.com/doctype/terms.html -> licensing terms &
conditions (articles licensed CC Attribution 3.0, code & tests
copyright Google)

Mark Pilgrim gave me commit access to Google Doctype for the purpose
of being able to mass edit the SVG content and provide tests, but I'm
afraid I haven't found the time to really contribute to it (at the
time I was mostly just feeling out Doctype's capabilities).  I believe
these are the only two pages I created at the time:

http://code.google.com/p/doctype/wiki/SVGElements
http://code.google.com/p/doctype/wiki/SVGAElement

I've heard people like the Doctype ability to build up tests.  For
example this one:
http://doctype.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/tests/js/document/document-fgColor-typeof-test.html
 Though I personally haven't explored this yet.

Of course the problem with this is contributions fall under either the
CC Attribute 3.0 license (which I personally don't have a problem
with) or under Google's copyright (for tests and code), but it seems
to me that Doctype has the potential to one day be a great source for
documentation about the open web, so SVG should be there regardless of
what we do on the SVG community site (that's my opinion anyway).

The other problem I have with Doctype is that edits usually give me a
500 Server Error more than half the time.  This is a known issue with
Doctype that they are (still) working on.  That's the real reason that
Mark gave me commit access so that I wouldn't have to deal with this
issue.

Regards,
Jeff