RE: HTML 5 Canvas spec [3D and SVG]

Indeed, you are prescient about this Donald--there is interesting and
frustrating stuff out there ahead.

When we go beyond 2D to 3D, that brings up a welter of other mechanisms
for getting graphics stuff on somebody's display.  Here in Boeing of
course we are deeply involved in massive capabilities like CGM/WebCGM
(not me personally).  Obviously, way beyond what SVG ever intended to
address, in scope, size, depth.  This computer / web graphics arena such
a vast field, it's hard to narrow down opportunities to choose paths and
work on them.

Seems like there is some distinguishing matrix of 2/3D graphics
characteristics, you almost need a Edward Tufte-like mind mapof them
floating out there in space, where  you could regard their various
aspects and figure out where the world is going, then flip it around and
look at it using a different lens.  Some of the axes might be things
like simple vs. complex, declarative vs. imperative, past-present-future
(progressions or versioning), open vs. proprietary, platforms it runs
on, and so forth.  One might observe the progression thru VML, to SVG,
to future versions of it, or the rise of integrated RIA graphics
thingies like FLEX/Flash, as pieces of this larger picture.  As it is,
it's kind of hard to get oriented to the many things that are on tap.

Apologies if I am rambling, but one might set out to articulate some
sort of positioning of SVG as it is now, or where it's going, in
relation to those other things, that *could* help someone get engaged.
It's a very significant and useful standard (IMHO)!

David.A.Porter@Boeing.com
Distributed Server Integration, GG-GG-5581, homepage
http://grp-cno-dst-svr.web.boeing.com/
Boeing Information Technology, Bellevue Washington USA
* phone 253-223-4732, other contact options at
http://card.web.boeing.com/WebCard.cfm?id=113185
Server Inventory links:
http://distributedserver.web.boeing.com/serverinventory/ServerInventoryL
inks.htm