Re: figure role backgrounds

> so that you can add all of HTML.

To clarify, again:

No, you cannot currently add arbitrary HTML elements to SVG.  There are
only a very limited number of metadata and embedded content HTML elements
that have been allowed.  Metadata are fine because they don't affect
rendering.  For the embedded content elements, we created new rules for how
they interact with SVG layout, based on SVG <image> and <foreignObject>
elements.   The SVG-AAM already refers to HTML-AAM for the HTML embedded
content elements that are allowed in SVG.

Any other HTML element (and all its child content, SVG or not) would not
render, even if it is parsed to the correct element type thanks to XML
namespaces.  In an HTML parser, it would either be assigned the wrong
namespace or be treated as a parser error, causing immediate closing of the
open SVG elements.

Changing the rendering rules would require considerable re-writing of how
CSS, HTML, and SVG interact.  It may happen in the future, but we're
nowhere near that now.

Using roles to assign semantics to SVG content is a progressive enhancement
that doesn't affect the rendering of the SVG in non-browser user agents, or
in existing browsers.

Using roles that directly map to existing HTML semantics should ensure that
they are easy to spec, easy to implement for user agents and ATs, easy to
remember for authors, and (hopefully) easier to understand for end users.

A <g role="figure"> will be laid out and rendered like any other SVG <g>,
but would be exposed to accessibility APIs like an HTML <figure>.

~ABR