Re: update of WAI-ARIA Graphics Module and aria-gtype

> On Sep 19, 2015, at 20:19, Amelia Bellamy-Royds <amelia.bellamy.royds@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Re aria-gtype: As we've discussed on the call before, I am concerned that you're trying to make one property do too many things, Fred.  It cannot be both a flexible author-supplied description and an AT-interpretable category for controlling reading order.
>
> While I appreciate that effective navigation of a chart requires a reading order separate from the normal drawing order, that's why we will follow up this simple graphics role model with a chart-specific taxonomy.  For generic graphics, I think we should be relying on aria-flowto and aria-owns to convey the correct reading order.
I share Amelia’s concerns and preferred approach.

I discussed this with Fred informally after the meeting. While agreement would be too optimistic a term to apply to the mutual understanding reached reached, we both recognized that one could develop a solution essentially similar to what Amelia proposed above. For an axis (this is the example we discussed in detail), there would be a generic axis role. aria-owns could be used to refer to “child” axes in the case of a cluster chart. aria-valuemin and aria-valuemax could be used for the obvious purposes in the case of a numerical variable. Further properties could specify, e.g., whether the variable is independent or dependent, enumerate categories where the variable is categorical, etc.

I asserted that the point of the elementary three-role taxonomy was merely to produce a normative document that could be cited for the purpose of building the accessibility API mappings within the SVG 2 development cycle, not to create something directly valuable to end users. An experimental implementation could support these three roles, plus others from the still tentative chart taxonomy. We need two interoperable implementations even of the basic taxonomy, but perhaps these could be done as part of an experimental implementation of a larger subset of what we plan to develop.

Thank you for your compliance.