Re: Agenda October 9, 2015 SVG accessibility task force

Regrets.

I have some concerns about the name and desc calculations, specifically
that what we are doing is locking in the currently-implemented stuff,
which is about the minimal useful thing, in a way that makes it very hard
for people to actually do anything better. I am still thinking through it
- working from a set of modifications to an algorithm is pretty
nightmarish, so editorially I would request that the spec at least copy
the relevant pieces from core mappings as an informative complete
statement.

Separately I have been working on examples, as per recent emails to the
list. A couple of points:

role="img" isn't implenented according to what the spec suggests, but
rather according to the proposed role="symbol". Maybe we should recognise
that and update accordingly in both the graphics stuff and core aria.

Thinking about how to represent bar charts and the like, it strikes me
that they are simple tables - even the ones that have distributions - a
solid bar, and maybe a narrower bar covering the range of outlying values.
This also applies to scatter plots. So it seems that the easy win is just
to use aria table markup directly, instead of trying to invent new stuff.
The trick Doug used of presenting legends with simple bar charts is worth
promoting, especially if we enhance it somewhat with simple aria like
using hidden on the axes' ticks. (Having the axis itself with a title for
its range seems helpful as a summary.

And I have been thinking about navigating trees and "graphs" - the linked
nodes you get from e.g. RDF diagrams, flowcharts, schematic maps, circuit
diagrams and so on. I have some ideas I want to work up. I'll start with
the diagram [1] from the shadow DOM spec, because that gets published by
W3C and the editors are taking in my improvements [2]. Walking the nodes
works at least in Yandex/Voiceover and Firefox/Voiceover on Mac, but I
think still crashes Safari/VO and LĂ©onie reports little joy on Windows.

The two initial strategies that seem promising are having the "edges" -
the lines between things, as links, and offering a breadth-first walk of
the nodes, at least for trees. The alternative is to make a node plus its
outward links into a group, and use aria-flowto, as I tried to do in the
chemistry example [3]. The problem is that the implementation of flowto
seems to be pretty minimal, and it isn't communicated anywhere except
through the accessibility API so you may need a screenreader running to
make sense of the navigation.

[1] http://svg-access-w3cg.github.io/use-case-examples/composed-tree.html
[2]
https://github.com/w3c/webcomponents/blob/60b7e479e86893af722c76bb26cfba6ba1341144/assets/images/composed-tree.svg