Re: svg examples

On Fri, 13 Nov 2015 20:58:21 +0100, Fred Esch <fesch@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> On today's call, it was brought up that examples are needed. I prefer
> fully expressive charts that use a rich taxonomy and directional
> navigation and robustly populates the accessibility tree, but we don't
> have that in the Graphics Module or SVG AAM and don't have user agent
> support yet. So I am asking, what is the scope of the examples?

Show how the proposed markup would work.

So assume user agent support, take a bunch of rich graphs, write them up,
and then explain what the user agents need to do and why it all hangs
together.

> Are the examples supposed to show how tab index and the three roles can
> make a SVG useful to a screen reader?  For instance, are we looking for
> an example of a stacked bar chart that works with tabindex alone?

No, you're meant to show how you can get from what we have today to
something that will provide good accessibility to a variety of users
(screen readers, keyboard, low vision, low motor control, etc), and why
this approach will make sense to authors.

> I don't think we have sufficient markup to make a stacked bar chart
> work without hacks.

Personally, I disagree, but…

> And I believe using flowto and links in most cases within an SVG are
> hacks.

I disagree about this, too. If they make sense in the Web in general, they
make sense in SVG. And the converse applies.

> Using flowto for connectors makes sense, but not in the case of
> stacked bar chart where you simply need a way to drop to the next lower
> level of the hierarchy or move back up a hierarchy.

Indeed.

> I would not want to produce examples that teach people hacks.

Nor do I. Although for people who want to make things accessible *today*,
which also means make things accessible in browsers that will be with us
for a couple of years or so, I can't see options beside longdesc and
hacks, and longdesc is not that great either…

I do want to see examples that teach people what we are hoping they will
do, and teach them why our plan makes sense, and how they can apply it to
reality.

cheers

Chaals