Re: ARIA roles for graphics

> On May 21, 2015, at 07:56, Fred Esch <fesch@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>

> I don't see a problem with adding mappings for 1.1. But I would only want to add mappings that we would not want to remove or replace later. I like icon, but don't know if I would want to keep the rest in 2.0.  We are being told that any roles we create in a graphics extension must extend something in core ARIA. I am not sure I agree with that. But I would like us to build a usable taxonomy rather than address annoyances that result from a mapping to existing ARIA.
I agree. It seems that integration of our taxonomy into ARIA 2.0 is a more realistic expectation, by which time we may have a more effective approach to extensibility in ARIA generally.

As this taxonomy is a new effort, not based on API semantics already implemented for desktop or mobile applications, some experimentation with early/prototype implementations is likely to be needed. I wouldn’t wish this to be attempted within the ARIA 1.1 schedule.

Thank you for your compliance.