RE: Agenda May 1 SVG Accessibility TF

Leonie,

The purpose of the tool is to let us look at marked up SVG. If you are
sighted and keep the show as SVG tree: checkbox checked a tree of the SVG's
structure is drawn (naturally in SVG).

The SVG tree shows the tree as a rectangles for nodes that contain the tag
(ie path, g, text...) with lines linking their children. Above the box is a
symbol, usually a single letter but sometimes two letters when the tag has
a role. The nodes are color coded svg and g tags are green, defs and style
stuff are blues/purples, title and desc are a grayish color and everything
else - mostly drawn stuff are a yellow color. Text nodes show the text to
the right of the node.

If you hover over a desc or title node a tooltip shows you the string. With
other nodes, hovering shows you the properties of the node. Hovering over
the symbol for a role spells out the role, for example hovering over an
role symbol x gives role = none.

I found this tool useful when marking up SVG as it showed me how far I got
in the file and I could trace which groups should be marked as an
axis/legends by working backwards from the axis/legend labels and so on. I
think this tool will be useful for discussing markup as I found it useful
to markup groups and letting the children inherit roles, rather than
marking up tens or hundreds of individual items. I was also able to figure
out missing groupings which I think would be beneficial in designing
navigation. Especially in the stacked bar chart where the stacks needed
summary info (ie total for the stack) and where navigation should respect
the grouping.

Because you and Jason can't use the SVG tree display, I grabbed a tree
control from the OpenAjax example and followed the jQuery treeview.js
instructions and copied from the online example. The online example has the
div being an application. Rereading the jQuery treeview.js instructions it
doesn't state that a containing div needs to be given the role application.

                    Regards,                     Fred

                   Fred Esch
       Accessibility, Watson Innovations
    AARB Complex Visualization Working Group
                     Chair
        W3C SVG Accessibility Task Force
                   IBM Watson