Re: WAI-ARIA Graphics Module

Hi Amelia,

Regarding "d-figure" or "figure" if it goes in the ARIA spec., I would
recommend requiring an aria-labelledby relationship (a required property)
to the text.

Let me address the group vs. region mapping.
Region was not used as it is used for navigational landmarks:
http://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/aria/aria.html#landmark_roles
We don't see figure as being a landmark. Some back ground: Regions have
been used in practices as generic landmark regions provided they have a
label applied to it. These are typically large perceivable areas.

I am not sure if you looked at the ARIA 1.1 definition of "group" but it is
different from ARIA 1.0:

http://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/aria/aria.html#group

Do you expect figures to show up in a page summary?

I agree there will be some challenges with timing the integration into the
main spec. but it is unavoidable. I do think we have runway to get some of
these into aria 1.1.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger