Re: ARIA Graphics Module -- proposed roles hierarchy & data properties

> On Aug 31, 2015, at 13:45, Amelia Bellamy-Royds <amelia.bellamy.royds@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> However, I do not believe the alternative is to rely solely on author-provided descriptions of the data and its patterns.  There are multiple problems with this approach:
> • It expects the author to identify all features worth describing.  It does not allow the user to choose which details they are interested in.
> • If the chart is generated by an automated tool, the text descriptions will not necessarily be any better than text descriptions created by an automated tool on the user agent/AT.
> • Unlike a user-agent tool, an authoring tool will not be customizable to the language requirements and other needs of the user.
> For these reasons, I would like author-supplied descriptions to be an enhancement or complement to user-controlled automated summaries.  The automated summaries would be based on metadata that can easily be inserted by the authoring tools that generate the chart.  (Because, let's face it, most SVG charts are created with authoring tools or scripting libraries.)
I strongly agree here. Also, certain techniques important for accessibility benefit from the ability to perform (even rudimentary) interpretation of the data as they are presented. For example, it isn’t clear how one could produce appropriate sonification without determining the range of data values so that they can be assigned to appropriate audio frequencies.

Thank you for your compliance.