Re: Thoughts on taxonomy development

Jason,

Our goal is to cover a wide variety of graphics families. The straw man
taxonomy covers statistical graphs, maps and technical drawings as that is
what I am familiar with. It sounds like STEM/instructional diagrams,
mathematical functions and UML are some families that we can bring in. We
will need someone to identify a graphics family for inclusion and bring in
the concepts not already covered.  While each graphics family may have
their own lexicon, I believe there are a core group of concepts that will
cover 85% of our accessible graphics use cases.  I think our first cut at a
taxonomy should be geared toward identifying the core concepts.

Whether we try to describe the visual representation is debatable and I
believe we can look at that aspect of accessible graphics, after finding
the core taxonomy.  To me, what information to provide for each concept is
a first level of detail, that we should do after identifying core concepts
so we don't get bogged down. My interest in what properties to have relate
to being able to produce accessible graphics automatically and have them
read consistently by assitive technology. Others may want more expansive
descriptions that require human intervention. I believe we will have to be
flexible and allow a continuum of descriptions. But I would like to see us
address that later.

Arrrggg, while I want to focus on a basic taxonomy and not get bogged down,
I can't help but throw fuel on the fire of whether to include a visual
representation or not.  For the statisticians I have worked with, they do
not call a statistical chart's axes - the x, and y axes, but rather the
dependent and independent variable.   Some folks call a bar chart where the
bars are vertical a column chart. And a bar chart where the bars go
horizontally, they call a bar chart.  To me there is no difference between
their column chart and bar chart. In this case, their bar chart is simply
their column chart transposed and the dependent and independent variables
do not change. If you are interested in a book that can split any
statistical chart into common components -  The Grammar of Graphics by Lee
Wilkinson  does this nicely.

                    Regards,                     Fred

                   Fred Esch
       Accessibility, Watson Innovations
    AARB Complex Visualization Working Group
                     Chair
            W3C SVG A11y Task Force
                IBM Watson Group