Re: Speech synthesis events

Aaron,

The web speech API is implementation-independent. Each speech engine has
its own concept of a phoneme, and many of them don't actually expose any
information about phoneme boundaries or phoneme events. Similarly for
"word", each engine breaks up text into words differently, for example some
engines consider a hyphenated word like implementation-independent to be
two words, others consider it to be one word. Also, some fire events at the
start of a word, some at the end of a word, and some both. In order to
abstract over those differences, the web speech API gives you a single
boundary event.

It makes sense to support boundary events for phonemes, when the speech
engine supports it.

- Dominic