Re: [speech-api] Continuous recognition problem

Hi Agostino,

This is an issue for the Chrome team, as it is caused by how they chose to
implement the Speech API, and not with the spec itself.

I've tackled similar issues in my work on annyang and I've chosen to
automatically handle restarting the speech recognition under certain
condition by binding to the onend() event.

If you try a similar technique, be aware of the following:

   1. If you are not on HTTPS, the user will be prompted to give permission
   over and over again on each restart.
   Don't compromise on HTTP.
   2. Make sure you are not restarting the speech recognition immediately
   onend() without some safeguards to make sure you aren't putting the browser
   into an endless loop (e.g. two open tabs with onend(function() {restart()})
   can crash the browser, as I've detailed in this bug report:
   https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=296690)
   See https://github.com/TalAter/annyang/blob/master/annyang.js#L152 for
   how I handle this.
   3. Don't autorestart if the reason for it ending is something like `
   service-not-allowed` or `not-allowed` See
   https://github.com/TalAter/annyang/blob/master/annyang.js#L132

You can see how I handled this in my code, and feel free to send me an
email if you need further help.

*Tal Ater **|* LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/talater/>