Re: Request to change WebSpeech to remove usage of SpeechSynthesisVoiceList

Tommy discovered that WebIDL forbids sequence<xx> for attributes, it's only
for function results: http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#idl-sequence

So I see three options for SpeechRecognitionEvent.results:

1. Define it as an array instead of a sequence.  The change to the IDL
would be:

  Section 5.1 IDL:
    "readonly attribute sequence<SpeechRecognitionResult> results;"
  should be
    "readonly attribute SpeechRecognitionResult[] results"

2. Revert back to the original IDL in the spec. (That is, strikeout errata
E04.) [1]

3. Change it from a readonly attribute to a function. The change to the IDL
would be:

  Section 5.1 IDL:
    "readonly attribute sequence<SpeechRecognitionResult> results;"
  should be
    "sequence<SpeechRecognitionResult> getResults()"

I prefer the first option. Like sequence<xx> an array remains compatible
with the result[i] syntax (so no change for JavaScript applications using
this syntax), and doesn't support the result.item(i) syntax.

The second option would be OK too.

I dislike the third option because the syntax for JavaScript applications
changes. Also, because this would add a function call
to SpeechRecognitionEvent, which currently holds only attributes, so it
would be inconsistent and "odd" in my opinion.

What are your thoughts?

Also, any additional thoughts on SpeechGrammarList?

Glen Shires

[1] https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/speech-api/raw-file/tip/speechapi-errata.html

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 7:01 AM, Tommy Widenflycht (ᛏᚮᛘᛘᚤ) <tommyw@google.com