RE: New Charter

In my opinion, once a Speech API is minted, there will be a tremendous excitement, development utilizing it, JavaScript libraries utilizing it, including, for example, UI libraries and speech + AJAX widgets.

Based upon those premises that web developers will enjoy, make use of, and have subsequent ideas for features with regard to a Speech API, there has been and there could be further discussion about both feature sets and about scalability. It seems that those of us who met here based on our interest in natural language technologies can imagine greater sets of features than those in the initial version of the API.  With the option of a Working Group presented, the discussion about the current proposal draft could be phrased as from features-based to scalability-based.  It's possible that the goal to speed adoption, to have browsers soon already having implemented speech-related functionalities, and the desire to service the needs of both professionals building high-quality multi-modal user experiences and casual developers simply looking to add speech to their forms, as a process direction, are not necessarily mutually exclusive. My own participation in the converstion, thus far, has been features-based and, after reviewing the Working Group charter, seeing indicators of process and of versioning, I wanted to indicate that scalability could be topical.  It could be possible to achieve both the upcoming adoption of an initial version while also chartering a process to version the specification and to advance the state of the art.

Kind regards,

Adam