RE: Default value of SpeechRecognition.grammars

Inline...

From: Satish S [mailto:satish@google.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:07 AM
To: Young, Milan
Cc: Jerry Carter; Hans Wennborg; public-speech-api@w3.org
Subject: Re: Default value of SpeechRecognition.grammars

*       The application layer is given control over which recognizers are running
Sounds like this is the same as the serviceURI attribute.

[Milan] The current service URI attribute only permits a single recognizer.  That recognizer could *internally* be a compound recognizer, but for this solution to work, the application would need to invoke the recognizers explicitly.  For example, invoke the local recognizer for contacts/appointments/apps, and a remote recognizer for dictation or websearch.

*       Each recognizer publishes a single default grammar

*       If the default grammar is not available in its entirety, the recognizer/UA must generate an error.
I expect the recognizer/UA to return an error if it can't recognize for any reason, including network issues or lack of access to other resources. SpeechRecognition.onerror<http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/speech-api/raw-file/tip/speechapi.html#dfn-onerror> is the event raised in that case. Perhaps what you are looking for is to add an error code here such as RECOGNIZER_ERROR indicating for some reason the recognizer can't function as expected.

[Milan] Glad we are in agreement.  I just want to make clear in the spec that a recognizer cannot automatically change its default grammar in response to an error condition (eg remove dictation).  If you are OK with this, I will suggest text.

Please don't forget about my other request:

*       The default grammar must be addressable in URI format should the developer want to explicitly invoke the default.  For example: builtin:dictation and builtin:contacts.

Thanks