Re: Confidence property

Yes, good suggestion. Looking at how the proposals affect these three
groups of web developers is a great way to evaluate them.

Here's how my proposal affects these three groups:

Analysis:

Group 1: No advantage or disadvantage.

Group 2: This is a perfect solution. These developers only care about
setting the input confidenceThreshold. Since 0.0 is the
default confidenceThreshold, if they want to get reasonable rejection
behavior for nomatch, they can simply do:

   recognizer.confidenceThreshold = 0.5

Since the confidenceThreshold is skewed, they get reasonable nomatch
behavior with 0.5 which enables them to write recognizer independent
code (at least to some extent). If they're still getting too many results,
they can simply increment or decrement this value, again as recognizer
independent code.

Conversely, if the confidenceThreshold were not skewed and instead used
native recognizer confidence values, there would be no way for these
developers to write recognizer independent code and get reasonable
rejection behavior for nomatch.

Since Group 2 developers don't process or analyze at the output confidence
values (in results or emma), so they don't care whether these output values
are skewed or not.

having skewing would be a major hinderance for Group 2 developers because
they couldn't reliably use nomatch behavior.

Group 3: This is a perfect solution. These developers want to use native
recognizer confidence values for both input (setting the threshold) and
output (processing the results in SpeechRecognitionAlternative.confidence
or SpeechRecognitionResult.emma). They don't want any skewing that can
complicate things, and this solution allows them to only use native values
everywhere, they never have to worry about skewing.  The only thing they
have to do is cut and paste a simple JavaScript function (which I presume
most recognizer vendors would gladly post on their website) in to their
code. For example, they could simply cut and paste the following:

  function SetNativeConfidenceThreshold(conf) {
    if (conf < 0.7)
      recognizer.confidenceThreshold = conf / 1.4;
    else
      recognizer.confidenceThreshold = 0.5 + ((c - 0.7) / 0.6);
  }

Now, all the Group 3 developer has to do to set the confidence threshold
using a native confidence value is:

  SetNativeConfidenceThreshold(value);

Copying-and-pasting a short function is a trivial amount of effort,
particularly when compared to all the effort that Group 3 is doing by
definition to review, tune, process and tweak confidence values.  That is,
this proposal has trivial impact on the effort required for Group 3
developers.

contrast, a proposal that skews the results and emma confidence value would
have a major, negative impact on Group 3 developers.

Now, to compare how all three proposals affect these groups, let's label
them:

Proposal A: No skewing. Use native recognizer confidence values for both
input (confidenceThreshold) and output (results and emma)

Proposal B: Skew both input (confidenceThreshold) and output (results and
emma) in the same manner.

Proposal C: (my proposal) Skew only input (confidenceThreshold).
Use recognizer confidence values for output (results and emma) in the same
manner.

Group 1: All proposals are fine, they provide no advantage or disadvantage.

Group 2: Proposal A is problematic. Proposal B and C both provide a huge
advantage.

Group 3: Proposal B is problematic. Proposal A and C both provide a huge
advantage.

The intersection of these is Proposal C - provides huge advantages and is
not problematic for any of the 3 groups of developers.

Glen