Re: SpeechRecognitionAlternative.interpretation when interpretation can't be provided

Debbie,
Looking at this from the viewpoint of what is easier for the JavaScript
author, I believe:

SpeechRecognitionAlternative.transcript must return a string (even if an
empty string). Thus, an author wishing to use the transcript doesn't need
to perform any type checking.

SpeechRecognitionAlternative.interpretation must be null if no
interpretation is provided.  This simplifies the required conditional by
eliminating type checking.  For example:

transcript = "from New York to San Francisco";

interpretation = {
  depart: "New York",
  arrive: "San Francisco"
};

if (interpretation)  // this works if interpretation is present or if null
  document.write("Depart " + interpretation.depart + " and arrive in " +
interpretation.arrive);
else
  document.write(transcript);
fi

Whereas, if the interpretation contains the transcript string when no
interpretation is present, the condition would have to be:

if (typeof(interpretation) != "string")

Which is more complex, and more prone to errors (e.g. if spell "string"
wrong).

/Glen Shires