From: Glen Shires [mailto:gshires@google.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2012 2:16 PM
To: Gerardo Capiel; Matt Womer; Young, Milan; olli@pettay.fi;
public-speech-api@w3.org
Subject: Re: joining a working group

A couple weeks ago I emailed WebApps chairs Art and Chaals.  I received
a response from Chaals citing IPR concerns similar to Matt's comments.

At this point I believe there would be similar IPR complications in
joining any other existing WG.  Just as with our CG, a new WG would
allow for the narrowest scope for IPR considerations, and thus allow
companies to join the CG or new WG without committing to IPR for
additional specifications.

Our immediate course of action continues to be to complete a stable
draft of this spec, which can be then used to more precisely define the
scope. Completing this draft is currently in high-gear and receiving
much discussion on this mailing list. I expect this draft to be
completed by the end of September.

To Gerardo's question: I do not know if splitting the speech recognition
and speech synthesis portions would minimize IPR concerns, however I
suspect it would have little effect because most major companies that
have an interest in one of these technologies, seem to have an interest
in both technologies. I would prefer to avoid splitting these because of
the efficiency and consistency obtained by defining speech recognition
and speech synthesis portions together.

/Glen Shires

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Gerardo Capiel <gerardoc@benetech.org>