RE: Speech API: first editor's draft posted

Deborah, is there a form of an EMMA result that only encodes the spoken phrase (omits interpretation etc)?  If so, perhaps vendors that do not currently support EMMA could use this trivial wrapper to achieve compliance.

Either way I agree that EMMA must be a part of the spec.  I didn't notice that this had been pulled in this most recent proposal or I would have mentioned it myself.

Thanks

From: Deborah Dahl [mailto:dahl@conversational-technologies.com]
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2012 1:21 PM
To: 'Glen Shires'
Cc: 'Hans Wennborg'; public-speech-api@w3.org; 'Satish S'
Subject: RE: Speech API: first editor's draft posted

I think standardization will actually be accelerated by making EMMA part of the specification. EMMA (and its predecessor NLSML) were in fact originally partly motivated by the non-interoperable and proprietary ways that different speech recognizers represented semantic interpretations. This made it very difficult for an application to be used with different speech recognizers.
I don't know what proportion of existing speech services do or don't support EMMA, but there are definitely speech services, as well multimodal application platforms, that do. I know that there will be applications and more generally, development platforms, that won't be able to use this spec unless they can get EMMA results.