RE: Speech API: first editor's draft posted

Being new to Community Groups, I'm not clear on the plan for resolving issues like that which I have posted below.  Do I need to submit a concrete counter-proposal?    Should we have regular conference calls to discuss this and the other issues that have come up?  Perhaps a F2F to get us started?

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: Young, Milan [mailto:Milan.Young@nuance.com]
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2012 2:06 PM
To: Hans Wennborg; public-speech-api@w3.org
Cc: Satish S; Glen Shires
Subject: RE: Speech API: first editor's draft posted

Thank you for the draft, this looks like an excellent start.  A few comments/suggestions on the following:

SpeechRecognition
 - In addition to the three parameters you have listed, I see the following as necessary:
        integer maxNBest;
        float confidenceThreshold;
        integer completeTimeout;
        integer incompleteTimeout;
        integer maxSpeechTimeout;
        attribute DOMString serviceURI;

- We'll also need an interface for setting non-standard parameters.  This will be critical to avoid rat-holing into a complete list of parameters.
        SpeechParameterList parameters;
        void setCustomParameter(in DOMString name, in DOMString value);

    interface SpeechParameter {
        attribute DOMString name;
        attribute DOMString value;
    };

    interface SpeechParameterList {
        readonly attribute unsigned long length;
        getter SpeechParameter item(in unsigned long index);
    };

- I prefer a flatter structure for SpeechRecogntion.  Part of doing that would involve splitting the error path out to its own event.  I suggest the following:

    // A full response, which could be interim or final, part of a continuous response or not
    interface SpeechRecognitionResult : RecognitionEvent {
        readonly attribute unsigned long length;
        getter SpeechRecognitionAlternative item(in unsigned long index);
        readonly attribute boolean final;
        readonly attribute short resultIndex;
        readonly attribute SpeechRecognitionResultList resultHistory;
    };

    interface SpeechRecognitionError : RecognitionEvent {
      // As before
    };

TTS
  - At a minimum, we'll need the same serviceURI parameter and generic parameter interface as in SpeechRecognition.
  - I'd also like to hear some discussion on the importance of "marking" the stream.  I personally feel this is common enough that I should be part of a v1.

Thanks