Re: The Problem of Correlation and Substitution in SPARQL

Hi,

Maybe Peter did not notice that this is not the report we
submitted in 2016, but a new one (they have a similar name).
In 2016, Peter read our first paper and then claimed for
attention in the mailing list of SPARQL. Andy Seaborne
proposed the creation of at this community work. There were
several proposals, e.g., by Peter and David Martin in an ISWC
poster, and by Andy Seaborne in this mailing list. Also,
implementations are implicitly proposals.

The primary approach used by the W3C Community Group
to clarify these proposals was presenting example queries.
A general criterion is needed to choose one of them, not only
the first that fix all the reported issues. Our last report
addresses this goal by providing a logical foundation for
substitution. We extend known translations from SPARQL
to Datalog to support the EXISTS clause. In our opinion, this
setting sheds light on the fundamental issues going at the
problems of substitution in SPARQL.

We still think that this issue deserves attention. It is moribund
but not dead ;-) Would be great if the discussion in the WG
retakes this problem. We would be delighted to contribute to
addressing it.

Daniel

 ---- On jue, 18 ene 2018 11:52:26 -0300 Peter F. Patel-Schneider <pfpschneider@gmail.com> wrote ----