Re: sparql engine execution hints

I am currently using bigdata and they have exactly this:

http://wiki.bigdata.com/wiki/index.php/QueryHints

fortunately I do not need them very often

I think there are various issues:
a) you write query hints in light of behavior of performance issues with a particular implementation, so hints are generally not very portable
b) it would be good if there was agreement as to the syntax of hints, so that different implementations could at least ignore irrelevant hints
c) in practice, one also rearranges the query to improve performance - and an omniscient optimizer could do that for you … and one implementations optimization is another's slow-down

Jeremy J Carroll
Principal Architect
Syapse, Inc.