Re: question on constructwhere04 DAWG test

On 08/05/12 22:06, Gary King wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
>> I believe the spec is deliberately vague on the subject.
>

> Hmmm, Okay. What is the benefit to being vague here?
>
> If I'm writing a query and use FROM<data.ttl>  shouldn't I be able to know whether that graph already exists in the endpoint against which I'm querying? If nothing else, the performance characteristics may be quite different.

s/vague/declarative/ :-)

Query starts with a dataset - it does not define how that dataset came
into existence - that's a matter for the rest of your toolkit.

The dataset description declares what's in the the RDF dataset to be
queried.  SPARQL query starts at the point the dataset exists.

   FROM<data.ttl>

says that <data.ttl> (resolved as a relative URI) is the graph for the
default graph.

Whether it's read in from the web (or filesystem, of the base URI is a
file:), or already locally cached, or locally built, isn't covered by
SPARQL query.

	Andy