Re: still not understanding FROM NAMED

On 11/17/2010 7:50 AM, Bob DuCharme wrote:
> That makes sense, but if I can do this
>
> SELECT ?classTitle
> WHERE {
> GRAPH <http://example.com/classes/new/201106>
> { ?s <http://example.com/ns/sample#classTitle> ?classTitle } .
> }

Hi Bob,

This query does not specify an RDF dataset, which means it executes
against whatever your SPARQL endpoint treats as its default data set.
Some deployments treat this as including all graphs; some treat it as
none; still others treat it as configurable.

> does FROM NAMED add anything besides the ability to list a few graphs
> and then says GRAPH ?varName so that the graph pattern is applied to
> several graphs?

Right. FROM NAMED explicitly defines the scope of the named graphs for
the query - the universe of graphs over which a GRAPH ... clause can range.

Slide 13 of http://www.slideshare.net/LeeFeigenbaum/sparql-cheat-sheet
has a visual explanation of RDF datasets and SPARQL that might (or might
not!) help.

best,
Lee