RE: Mulgara and sameTerm

From: James Leigh <james-nospam@leighnet.ca>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 13:59:01 -0400
To: "Seaborne, Andy" <andy.seaborne@hp.com>
Cc: "public-sparql-dev@w3.org" <public-sparql-dev@w3.org>, Arjohn Kampman <arjohn@aduna-software.com>, Andrae Muys <andrae@netymon.com>, Paul Gearon <gearon@ieee.org>

Thanks Andy,

As I understand this: adding triples is out side the scope of SPARQL and
an RDF store can add triples as-is or do add just about anything instead
and still be SPARQL compliant.

I just want to clarify a point on sameTerm.

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 16:33 +0000, Seaborne, Andy wrote:
> sameTerm works on the definition of equality from RDF Concepts so no
> D-entailment. [B]  But SPARQL does not prescribe what is "in" the
> store - there is dataset that is queried.  Especially in the case
> where the dataset comes from execution context (no FROM etc, no
> protocol parameter), SPARQL says nothing about how that dataset came
> to be.  It just is.  So if you load RDF that has "+1"^^xsd:int,
> whether the store preserves the exact lexical form, or it's datatype,
> is a feature of the store.  SPARQL does not cover this step.  If you
> load "+1"^^xsd:integer and "01"^^xsd:byte, it's a store decision
> whether there are two terms or one, or whether what is stored and
> returned is "1"^^xsd:integer which wasn't directly mentioned (or even
> "1"^^xsd:decimal as the primitive XSD type that they are all derived
> from).

Lets say an RDF store chooses to "translate" certain RDF terms on insert
into others. Like "+1"^^xsd:int is always inserted as "1"^^xsd:int. Can
the same translation be done to query bindings?

Does SPARQL specify an exact response to the filter
'sameTerm("1"^^xsd:int, "+1"^^xsd:int)'?

James