SPARQL specification inconsistency

From: Nuutti Kotivuori <naked@iki.fi>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 18:22:04 +0300
To: public-sparql-dev@w3.org, public-rdf-dawg@w3.org

Hello,

In the latest SPARQL specification, in section 9.1, the ORDER BY
clause, there is a bit that says:

,----
| SPARQL also fixes an order between some kinds of RDF terms that
| would not otherwise be ordered:
|
|    1. ...
|
| A plain literal is lower than an RDF literal with type xsd:string of
| the same lexical form.
`----

The last two lines there are the interesting ones. Yet, directly below
that it says:

,----
| SPARQL does not define a total ordering of all possible RDF
| terms. Here are a few examples of pairs of terms for which the
| relative order is undefined:
|
|     * ...
|     * "a" and "a"^^xsd:string (a simple literal and an xsd:string)
|     * ...
`----

As I read this, this piece is contradicting the one said just a
paragraph above it.

Hopefully a clarification on this could be written to the errata (or
however these things are handled).

-- Naked