  • From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 09:19:13 -0500
  • Subject: RE: Scheduling chat: SPARQL, SQL & RDF
  • To: "Seaborne, Andy" <andy.seaborne@hp.com>, Susie Stephens <susie.stephens@oracle.com>, gilmanb@w3.org, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
  • Cc: Chris Bizer <chris@bizer.de>, danbri@danbri.org, danny.ayers@gmail.com, Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>, www-archive@w3.org, Lehmann.Christian@gmx.net, eric@w3.org, M.D.Wilson@rl.ac.uk
> > From: Chris Bizer <mailto:chris@bizer.de>
> > Date: 6 June 2006 11:26
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I also cced Andy Seaborne, Eric Prud'hommeaux, Richard Cyganiak and
> > Christian Lehmann. To them, this mail is in reply to:
> > http://dig.csail.mit.edu/breadcrumbs/node/140
> > and
> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2006Jun/0003.html
> >
> > We are of course very interested in joining efforts on database to RDF
> > mapping. So a sceduled chat or a BOF at ESWC are both good ideas.
>
> A scheduled chat would be good - I won't be at ESWC.

Nor will I.

I wonder... the HCLSIG has some work in this area...

"Transform data into RDF from Word, Excel, XML, Relational, etc."
 -- http://esw.w3.org/topic/BioRDF_Top_Level_Task

I wonder if we could crash their 19 June meeting, 11am Boston time.
The agenda seems to have a couple things on it already...

http://esw.w3.org/topic/HCLSIG_BioRDF_Subgroup/Meetings/2006-06-19_Conference_Call

Susie, how much flexibility do you have there?

Hmm... I have a meeting that goes until 11:30amET that day,
and TimBL has an all-day meeting (he has expressed interest
in participating).

So it's not at all clear how this proposal will work out.

But perhaps we could start at 11:30 or 11:45, go for 15
to 30 minutes by phone+IRC, and then maybe another 30 to 60
minutes by IRC only? I'd like to use the #swig channel
on freenode. (see http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/interest/ for details)

I'd like all interested folks to think about an XG in this area.
All it takes is a few paragraphs of charter that 3 W3C members
are willing to say "yes, good idea" and W3C will allocate a mailing
list and such.
  http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/

> > We plan to do the following stuff for D2RQ and D2R server in the next
> > months:
> > - implement a smarter SPARQL-to-SQL rewriting algorithm, which will
> > speed up queries. Richard's "A relational algebra for SPARQL" was the
> > first step into this direction.
> > - do some fine tuning on the language and introduce some language
> > constructs that make it easier to write mappings or make the language
> > more flexible.
> > Did anybody hear of use cases where something couldn't be mapped using
> > D2RQ?
> > - improve Richard's tool for the automatic generation of mappings.
> > - write a nice setup routine which will make it easyer to get the
> > server running.
> > - publish additional mappings for commonly used wikis, blogs and CMSs
> > in order to speed up the creation of public SPARQL endpoints.
>
> Damian has just released:
>
> http://jena.sourceforge.net/SquirrelRDF/
>
> which enables non-RDF data to be queried in SPARQL.  Backends for SQL
> and LDAP.  LDAP is a great source of info for us industry types.
> Richards incorporated the SQL metadata extractor into D2RServer, if I
> understand correctly.
>
> I wonder if the D2RQ mapping can be separated from the SQL-access so
> that adapters can be added for other sources.  Or whether it is better
> to take a rules-based approach and map "low level" RDF (a direct
> translation of the base source) into "high level" RDF (better data
> modeling).  Is the mapping always the same for all applications?
>

> > So if anybody knows about related work or wants to contribute ideas to
> > any of the topics, everything is welcome.
> >
> > Christian Lehmann (University Leipzig) is working on a D2RQ
> > imlementation in PHP. It would be great to be able to use D2RQ in PHP
> > applications and we hope to integrate his code into our RAP - RDF API
> > for PHP.
> >
> > Who of you is attending ESWC? What about a BOF meeting on Tuesday?
>
> I'm not although Bastian Quilitz (who has produced a query federator -
> SPARQL-queries-in, use service descriptions to work out which other
> services to semnd requests to, rebuld the results).  Bastian's at ESWC.
>
> 	Andy
>

> > Chris
D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E