Re: Indicating query type

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 07:24:07 -0400
To: Leigh Dodds <leigh@ldodds.com>
Cc: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>, public-sparql-dev@w3.org

* Leigh Dodds <leigh@ldodds.com> [2006-05-30 11:45+0100]
> I don't believe there's anything in the protocol spec which stops a
> processor rejecting queries based on type.

A processor should have the right to reject queries for any reason
whatsoever. Maybe it is implementing the protocol by passing
the queries off to a team of lowly-paid humans who don't feel like
working that day. It's important that 'being a SPARQL service' isn't
seen as writing a 'blank cheque' ie. opening oneself up to unknown
and neverending costs. I've not checked thru the protocol spec for
this but I do take it as fundamental that as a SPARQL service, I've the
right to refuse any queries I like.(*)

Dan

(*) for now avoiding any discussion of whether local anti-discrimination
laws apply to semantic web services...