Re: [w3c/sparql-12] Vote for charter.html acceptance at 5d2a2a9 (#75)

Thanks for the response Andy!

I absolutely appreciate and agree with the need for use case review and
analysis as a foundational step towards any specification. Specs not based
on real world use cases tend to have very poor adoption. However, in my
experience, even more important for adoption of a specification is
implementation experience of proposed solutions in an iterative, engaged
manner. By addressing issues in a purely waterfall approach of gathering
requirements, and the (lengthy) proposal of a single technical solution,
the next step of implementation has often lost some of the momentum and
understanding of the use cases in the first place.  By iterating on
solutions, and engaging with the proposers of the requirements to ensure
that the request has full understanding on both sides, progress is made
more visibly and people can come and go as needed.

Let me propose a compromise then, that tries to maintain focus on the
review, but at the same time not lose energy and attention to technical
details.  As the UCR process occurs and document is written up, champions
for each issue should self-identify and propose possible solutions in
topic-specific, labelled github issues. These solutions can then either be
a record to come back to, or to act as further discussion points to
demonstrate that the process is not just about talking, but also about
doing something :)  If no one is willing to champion an issue, that's also
a good sign for the UCR that it might not be as valuable as initially
thought.

Rob

--
Rob Sanderson