Re: Dropping .host-meta from WebSub

On 2017-05-02 01:07, Evan Prodromou wrote:
> On May 1, 2017 12:54:11 PM EDT, Aaron Parecki <aaron@parecki.com> wrote:
>> Does anyone know of any actual *live* implementations of WebSub (or
>> PubSubHubbub, any version) that use the .host-meta method of
>> advertising
>> the hub URL, or any consumers that check for it?
>
> GNU Social

Hi, I'm the current maintainer of GNU social. GNU social (and afaik
StatusNet too) doesn't use /.well-known/host-meta to advertise the
PuSH/WebSub _hub URL_, only the profile JRD/XRD template URL and OAuth
endpoint.

The profile JRD/XRD template URL is unrelated to the feed's hub URL (the
template usually being '/.well-known/webfinger?resource={uri}' nowadays,
but occasionally some may be unable to use /.well-known/webfinger and
need to build another URL).

So for GNU social we only use Link headers and rel="hub" tags in the
Atom feeds to discover PuSH/WebSub hubs, not /.well-known/host-meta

Besides, I don't think it's reliable to assume that a host would be able
to act as a WebSub hub for _all_ feeds on that host. If a feed is WebSub
enabled I think it's better to have the feed itself advertise that and
its preferred hub(s). So I support removing the /.well-known/host-meta
discovery of a rel="hub" from the specification.

--
Mikael Nordfeldth
https://blog.mmn-o.se/