Re: objections to webmention

On 11 June 2016 at 17:23, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org> wrote:

> [...]
> strongly encourage you, if you want to be helpful toward the group's
> mission, to either work on parts of the stack where you agree with the
> architecture (eg activity pub or solid), or, if you want to help with
> webmention, to tell true personal stories of difficulties you had using it.
>
> On June 11, 2016 1:29:59 AM PDT, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >On 8 June 2016 at 16:50, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org> wrote:
> >

> >> On June 8, 2016 4:53:53 AM PDT, Melvin Carvalho
> ><melvincarvalho@gmail.com>

> >and

> >Ideal
> >> >

> >> The preferred place to discuss issues on a specific spec is github.
> >> opened an issue for you for this, to help encourage that, but then
> >> eventually closed it because you weren't using it.
> >>

> >The github process is rather hit and miss.
>
> W3C process holds groups accountable for how they handle issues, but lets
> it them select among several fora for doing so.  This group has selected
> github, so if you want your comments to be part of the accountability
> process, you should make them there.
>
>   It works well in some
> >groups
> >and even here with james snell, however some of us have made an effort
> >use other repos and the feeling is that the process is broken.  In
> >particular with admin rights being granted to people with a clear
> >conflict
> >of interest who close down and lock issues before they have been fully
> >discussed.
>
> I believe you're referring to a specific incident on about November 30,
> 2015, which led the WG to clarify its github issue process.   My
> understanding is that incident arose from the editor simply being
> unfamiliar with W3C process and instead using a different (more
> dictatorial) process familiar to him.
>

> >Your own words on the github process described in the wiki : "The rules
> >are
> >TERRIBLY explained and justified"
> >

> Sounds like me being apologetic and also angry about the above incident.
>   The helpful thing to do in that case is ask for clarification where the
> intent is unclear, and perhaps offer editorial suggestions.    I was
> rewriting the document until I got the sense no one actually cared and
> stopped spending my time on it.
>
> >Some in the WG have made an effort on github but found the process not
> >be a productive use of time.  Additionally, for structural problems in
> >specification, I might suggest that mailing list which has a wide
> >readership can be helpful.
>
> I personally have no evidence anyone but you and I are reading this, or
> that this is a productive use of time.    There probably are a few other
> people still reading this, but they could just as easily read it via github
> (which will happily email thread contributions to people.)   In fact, this
> email list is limited to WG members, while the github issues are not, so in

Is it not a requirement of WG members to be subscribed to this list?

"Each group *must* have an archived mailing list for formal group
communication (e.g., for meeting announcements and minutes, documentation
of decisions, and Formal Objections
<https://www.w3.org/2015/Process-20150901/#FormalObjection> to decisions).
It is the responsibility of the Chair and Team Contact to ensure that new
participants are subscribed to all relevant mailing lists."

http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Process/