Re: New Scientist - We want our internet back

On 08/04/2016 10:48 AM, Sarven Capadisli wrote:
> On 2016-08-03 14:46, Sandro Hawke wrote:
>> But I can clarify one thing: some MIT Crosscloud-funded personnel are in
>> the Working Group representing Solid.   At different points in time,
>> this has been Andrei, Sarven, and Dmitri.
>>
>> Other MIT Crosscloud-funded personnel in the Working Group are not there
>> on behalf of solid.   That's me and Amy.    It's hard to dictate
>> someone's technical judgments, and since neither of us happened to be
>> deep believers in the solid approach, it's been reasonable for us to
>> take on the role of staff contact, a role which requires a degree of
>> neutrality.   (W3C doesn't ask staff contacts to give up all opinions,
>> because that's often at odds with having technical expertise. But we
>> have to balance the bigger picture.)
>
> I think the implication that the Solid representatives are not
> critical about the technologies that we are working with, don't have
> more complex viewpoints, or don't have the quality to have a degree of
> neutrality about technologies is unfair. I'd like to be able to
> characterise my 'deep beliefs' myself in future.

Sarven,

Sorry, I made a poor word choice with "belief".   I didn't mean suggest
there was any lack of critical judgment or skill in anyone who chose to
implement or vote for or work on behalf of a particular technology
stack.   And by grouping people together as a I did, I glossed over the
people's individual differences.  I understand you've implemented
elements of all the stacks, and it wasn't appropriate to suggest you
were by nature partisan.

In terms of my email to Harry, my point was the the Crosscloud project
originally decided to hire you for a partisan position -- to represent
the Solid project.   One of the reasons to do that was so that I would
be under no obligation to represent Solid, and could be neutral in the
group.   In retrospect it may not have worked out as planned, but it
seemed like a good idea at the time.

      -- Sandro