Re: AS2 media type

Hi James,

On 10/20/2015 12:00 AM, James M Snell wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 2:45 PM, Sarven Capadisli <info@csarven.ca> wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> What breaks when you reuse the existing media types?
>>
>> How are the existing media types insufficient to AS2's needs?
>>

> Among other things, AS2 requires:
>   (a) the use of a normative @context definition;
This requires *all* clients to have 'hard coded' knowledge about
existence and location of that normative context. Non AS2 specific
clients will not have possibility to find it, which will limit audience
of data published this way. IMO using profile parameter seems to work
for all clients, those who know about AS2.0 specific processing and
those which will do their best by interpreting i as JSON-LD

>   (b) the use of JSON-LD compact form;
IMO this can cause more interoperability problems than benefits! If
people don't expand URIs in their code before matching them, this will
break the whole extensibility. Property with compacted name 'ex:foo'
from one source, doesn't equal property with the same compacted name
'ex:foo' from another source. One still need to expand them to full URIs
based on mappings in ... JSON-LD context.

>   (c) that all date/time values use ISO8601 format

>   (d) that the AS1 "objectType" and "id" values MUST NOT be used.
only relevant to people who migrate from AS1 (anyone even works on it?),
nothing to do with people starting from AS2

>   (e) the implementations MUST treat all objects as derivatives of
> as:Object unless the the object uses @type:as:Link
IMO we still have some work to do with all the issues around as:Link ,
actually it seems more relevant to API than *modeling social information*

>   (f) that AS defined terms be preferred over overlapping terms from
> other vocabularies
overlapping? how come? all AS terms have *unique* URIs to identify them,
no overlap possible... unless we try to make ourselves believe that we
can have extensibility without expending to full URIs -1

> Using "application/ld+json" does not communicate to a receiver any of
> these additional constraints.
>
> Which means in order to communicate these additional constraints, a
> profile parameter would need to be used, in which case you've
> accomplished nothing more than you would by simply defining a new
> media type.
Again, non AS2.0 specific clients will not have a way to process data,
even that 'behind masquerade' it uses JSON-LD which they could process
easily.

> - James

I apologies if I sound impatient in this email, I just have impression
that after a year of working on it 'kind of together' we keep walking in
circles :(

Cheers!